Are you seeking a versatile and effective workout to strengthen your body from head to toe?
Consider looking into Pilates bar workouts.
Pilates is one of the most popular exercise methods focused on improving core strength and flexibility and conditioning the overall body for flexibility. It is often compared with free weights as both training methods have the same end goals. You can learn more about how Pilates differs from weight training here.
You can include Pilates in your routine to take your workout to the next level. But things can get even better with Pilates bar exercises for additional resistance and stability. In this article, we will explore the benefits of Pilates bar workouts and share some of the top exercises you can do at home.
What is a Pilates Bar?
A Pilates bar, also known as a Pilates stick or Pilates resistance bar, is a lightweight, long bar that can perform various exercises. Made from metal or fiberglass, it has handles on each end. Designed to enhance the outcome of Pilates exercises, you can use the Pilates bar for improved strength, flexibility, and stability from your workouts.
It is a versatile piece of equipment that can also help improve body balance and coordination. This is why Pilates bar exercises are known to beginners friendly and can be performed at home easily.
Top Pilates Bar Exercises
Here are some Pilates bar exercises you can incorporate into your fitness routine. These beginner-friendly exercises can be done in the comfort of your home.
1. Pilates Bar Leg Stretching
- Lean on your fours, place the Pilates bar under your palms, and pin it firmly to the ground.
- Loop the resistance bands around your feet and raise your body above the ground.
- Slowly raise your right leg and stretch it up and back. Be sure not to bend your legs.
- Switch to the other leg.
- Repeat for the 12-15 reps.
2. Pilates Bar Squats with Overhead Press
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the Pilates bar at shoulder height with your palms facing forward.
- Keep your knees aligned with your toes lower into a squat.
- As you stand back up, press the Pilates bar overhead.
- Aim for 15-20 reps.
3. Pilates Bar Standing Row
- Hold the Pilates bar with an overhand grip while standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Keep your knees slightly bent and your back straight, engaging the core.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together as you pull the bar towards your chest.
- Aim for 10-12 reps and three sets.
4. Pilates Bar Kicks
- Lie down on your back and support your head and shoulder with the Pilates bar.
- Grip the bar for stability and raise your legs to bring them perpendicular to the floor.
- From this position, slowly lower your legs back to the starting position.
- Your hips must be firm and your abs engaged throughout the move. It is essential to protect your lower back from any stress.
- If the exercise seems too easy, try a few pulses at the bottom of the movement before you return to the starting position.
- Repeat for 10-12 reps in three sets.
5. Pilates Bar Walking Stretch
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding the bar in front of you with both hands. Start walking forward with your back straight, and shoulders relaxed. As you walk forward, swing the bar from side to side to engage all major muscle groups.
- Increase the bar’s range of motion after a minute or two and swing it across your body. Your shoulders, chest, and back should feel a nice stretch. Maintain the range of motion, and don’t overdo it.
- Once you feel you have reached the desired level of stretching, reverse the direction of the stretch as you walk back to starting location.
If you are looking for a complete Pilates Bar Workout than check out this 10 Minute Pilates Bar Workout created by LIT Instructor Dana.
4 Benefits of Pilates Bar Workout
The Pilates bar uses your body weight to anchor the resistance band to the ground. This simple change in the dynamics of resistance band exercises makes muscles work harder to overcome the added resistance. Unlike free weights, the Pilates bar is lightweight, so your muscles are not burdened with the extra weight.
1. Core stability
Pilates is a training method for core engagement and stability. A Pilates bar workout provides additional resistance that further challenges core muscles to improve their strength.
2. Full-body training
With Pilates bar exercises, you can target multiple muscle groups, which helps improve overall body strength. You can target the core, arms, legs, and back to develop long lean muscles.
3. Flexibility and posture
Pilates bar workouts for beginners are best for improving flexibility, mobility, and posture. The bar helps with controlled movements and stretches to lengthen and align the spine, which benefits posture.
4. Low impact
One of the reasons why Pilates is so popular is its low-impact approach to strength training. Pilates bar exercises are suitable for beginners and individuals with joint issues. It is a gentler workout option for rehabilitation as well.
Choosing the right equipment for a Pilates bar workout
It would help to have a few resistance bands and a reliable Pilates bar for strength training. The choice of resistance bands depends on your fitness level, as they are available in different strengths. The material of the resistance must also be considered. Latex rubber resistance bands offer the best stretching and are better for resistance training.
For a Pilates bar, you must ensure that it is padded for comfort. Thicker padding ensures no pain points, and it should be available at the correct positions. Portability is another factor. Pilates bar can be as long as 6 feet which is why you must choose a product that has a compact design.
LIT Bar is a quality Pilates bar that you can use with the LIT Axis smart resistance band system. Made from lightweight material, LIT Bar is highly flexible and modular. You can break it down into two pieces for portability. When you combine the LIT Bar with LIT Axis, you get an intelligent training system with smart sensors to monitor critical metrics like time under load, resistance level, muscle imbalance, and more.
Check out this video to learn how to level up your workout with LIT Axis and LIT Bar!
The Pilates bar workout is excellent for adding additional resistance to every Pilates exercise. With LIT Bar in your arsenal, you can work your core muscles more effectively and improve your muscle tone and fitness level as you would in a typical Pilates class, but at home.