Resistance bands are great for exercising, whether at a gym or if you prefer to work out at home. You can include resistance tube exercises in your regular fitness routine to maximize the benefits. However, resistance bands are often overlooked due to their simplistic design.
Here we will discuss why experts suggest resistant tube exercises should have a permanent spot in your daily workouts and list the best exercises.
9 Resistance Tube Exercises
Let's dive into the different resistance tube exercises you can incorporate into your fitness routine.
Upper Body Resistance Tube Exercises
1. Bicep Curls
- Hold the resistance tube with an underhand grip and keep elbows close to your body on the sides.
- Stand at the center of the resistance tube with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Slowly curl your hands towards your shoulder, maintaining tension in the tube.
- Perform 10-12 reps for three sets, and remember to keep the motion as your arms reach the starting position.
2. Shoulder Press
- Stand on the center of the resistant tube, both feet hip-width apart.
- Bring the tube handles above shoulder level so your elbows are bent 90 degrees.
- Move your arms straight up, keeping your shoulders down. Gradually lower back to above shoulder position.
- Aim for 10-12 reps for three sets.
3. Triceps Extensions
- Stand with one foot slightly in front of the other. Put the center of the resistance tube under the back foot.
- Hold one handle with your hand and extend your arm overhead, keeping your elbow close to your head.
- Slowly lower the handle behind your head until your elbow is bent 90 degrees.
- Repeat for 10-12 reps on each arm for three sets.
Lower Body Resistance Tube Exercises
- Stand on the band with feet, hips width part.
- Hold the hands next to your shoulder such that the band is behind the back of your arms.
- Slowly sit down, backing into a squat position. Make sure to keep your abdominals tight and chest lifted.
- Stand up, pressing through heels and squeezing glutes.
- Perform 12-15 reps for three sets.
2. Glute Kickbacks
- Position yourself on the ground, supporting your torso with your hands and knees.
- Firmly hold the handles in each hand and hook the middle of the band on your left foot.
- Push the leg back until the resistance tube tightens. Your core should be engaged, and keep the back flat as you kick the leg back and up.
- Slowly return to the starting position without allowing the knee to touch the ground.
- Do 10 reps on each leg for three sets.
3. Lateral Band Walks
- Position the resistance tube around your ankles.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Start taking small steps sideways while maintaining the tension in the tube throughout the movement.
- Walk 10-12 steps in each direction for three sets.
Full Body Resistance Tube Exercises
1. Standing Rows
- Anchor the resistance band to a stable point.
- Stand with both feet shoulder-width apart and hold the handles firmly.
- Keep your knees slightly bent and your back straight.
- Pull the handles toward your chest, squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Do 10-12 reps for three sets.
- Start with one foot at the center of the resistance tube and the other at the hip width.
- Hold the handles and bring your hands near your knee.
- With a slight bend in your knees, pull the handle across the body diagonally, fully extending your arms.
- You must engage your abs and use your obliques to twist the body.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Aim for 10 repetitions before switching sides.
3. Plank with Row
- Get into a plank position with the resistance tube anchored in front of you.
- Hold the handle with one hand and pull them towards your chest while maintaining a stable plank position.
- Perform 10-12 reps on each arm for three sets.
4 Benefits of Resistance Tube Exercises
A resistance tube is a simple, lightweight, but highly versatile piece of equipment that helps you build strength by providing tension for the muscles during an exercise. The more you stretch the resistance tube, the more resistance there is for your muscles to work against. This is why resistance tube exercises for beginners and seasoned fitness enthusiasts are modifiable.
You should include resistance tubes in your daily workout routine for several reasons.
1. Improved strength training
Resistance tubes mimic the movement of muscles, similar to cable machines or free weights. Studies have shown that you gain similar strength benefits with resistance bands and free weights. While there is definite proof that a resistance tube workout is excellent for strength training, it might offer additional benefits for muscle building, such as improved mobility, given how resistance bands engage the muscles.
2. Better mobility
Most gym equipment rely on gravity to offer resistance which makes them unidimensional. On the contrary, resistance bands provide resistance in all planes of motion. This is why when you exercise with resistance bands, your body experiences more muscle activation to recreate daily movements more effectively.
3. Reduces the risk of injury
According to the National Safety Council, traditional exercise equipment is behind most sports and recreational injuries in the U.S. A resistance tube is a safer alternative for strength training as it reduces pressure on the joints and activates more stabilizer muscles. Furthermore, you are less likely to overextend your muscles or joints as resistance bands have a limit to their stretch.
Resistance tube band workouts are safer, gentler, and offer more control over motion as they are not dependent on gravity.
4. Increases coordination
For tube resistance bands workout, you must control the motion and focus on muscle stability and coordination. This improves your form and balance, which enhances the quality of exercises you do with other gym equipment.
Choosing the right resistance tube
There's a variety of resistance tubes available, and the most significant factor to consider is the strength or tension of the band. Beginners can start with a light tube band. Resistance tubes are color-coded for easy selection, such as a yellow tube band offers the least resistance and the black the most. However, color systems differ between brands, so you must check the product for details.
Quality must be your next priority, as the resistance tube must be able to maintain the tension without snapping. Usually, the thicker the band is, the more durable it is. But the material is also a factor.
Rubber latex resistance tubes are more common than elastic fabric ones. Fabric bands are better for lower body workouts as they slide around during exercise. Latex tubes stretch better, which makes them ideal for upper body exercises as they can support explosive movements.
Also, check out the accessories available with the resistance tube. For the exercises, you will need handles, ankle cuffs, door attachments, etc.
LIT Axis is a smart resistance band system that checks all the requirements above plus has futuristic features making it much more effective than traditional resistance tubes. It's the world's first portable, connected fitness system that makes your resistance tube exercises more effective and efficient by providing accurate tension and muscle imbalance monitoring.
With its built-in sensors, LIT Axis allows you to track weight lifted, force, range of motion, and total muscle activation, monitor muscle imbalances, and offer resistance up to 200LBS. This sleek and compact resistance band system is ideal for resistance tube exercises for beginners and experienced enthusiasts alike.
Resistance tube exercises should have a permanent spot in your daily workout. These exercises improve the quality of strength training and enhance balance and stability. And with LIT AXIS, it's simple to up the intensity level of a resistance tube workout to challenge your muscles more.
Frequently asked questions
Can resistance tubes replace weights in a workout?
Resistance tubes can be good alternatives to free weights as they provide a similar resistance level to target various muscle groups effectively.
Are resistance tubes effective for building muscle?
Yes, you can build muscle strength and size by progressively increasing the resistance level of resistance tubes.
Can resistance tubes help with weight loss?
Resistance tube exercises, combined with a balanced diet and regular cardiovascular exercise, can help reduce weight as these exercises increase metabolism and enhance calorie burning.
How often should I use resistance tubes?
The frequency of resistance tube workouts varies depending on the fitness level and goals. As a beginner, you should aim for at least two to three weekly sessions.